The Analysis of Silicon and Silicon-based Compounds
We touch silicon and silicon-based products on a daily basis, from cosmetics and home care to medical devices and pharmaceuticals, all are built with a building block of silicon
Also referred to as “forever chemicals,” the PFAS class of man-made chemicals contains over 9,000 known compounds. These compounds are resistant to biodegradation and do not easily break down in the environment. As a result, PFAS chemicals have been shown to bioaccumulate, or build up, in humans and wildlife with exposure. Although the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has provided guidance regarding authorized uses of PFAS in food contact applications, the presence of these forever chemicals in food packaging is particularly concerning, as small amounts of PFAS in the body can lead to serious health problems. Specific PFAS chemicals have been linked to a myriad of health issues, such as cancer, suppressed immune function, and reproductive toxicity, including birth defects and infertility, developmental toxicity, and preeclampsia in pregnant women.
The experts at Impact Analytical are very experienced in the testing of silicon and silicon-based products. This versatile chemical can be found in pharmaceuticals, medical devices, specialty chemicals and consumer products. Typical testing in this field includes:
- Evaluation of Polymer Materials for Silicone Extractables following ISO 10993-12 and 10993-18
- Characterization of Silicone Rubber Material
- Extractable & Leachable studies for medical devices
- Analysis of Water-Suspended Silicone Particles for Chemical Composition
- Analysis of Silicone Valves by HS-GC-MS to Determine Organic Volatiles
- Annex 10 Testing of a Silicone Material for Silver and Aluminum by ICP-OES
- Characterization of Odor from Silicone Valves
- Vinyl and Phenyl Content in Silicone gum materials by H-NMR
- Characterization of Residuals in Polyurethane and Silicone Tubing Materials
- GC-FID Analysis for D4 and D5 Siloxane Content
- Residual Silicone Analysis
- Elemental analysis utilizing ICP/OES & ICP/MS with HF digestion
- Analysis of Silicon Dioxide for Purity by TGA
Medical Device Testing
Related Testing Techniques
Ready to Get Started?
Give us a call and speak with an actual scientist.